Los Angeles, CA
The LA Globe
Environment

Lineage Will Miss LA's Aug. 14 Deadline to Clear 88 Million Pounds of Rotting Food in Boyle Heights

Mayor Karen Bass gave the cold-storage company 45 days. With 7% of the food still inside and a removal pace of 1 to 1.5% a day, the city is weighing litigation and a lien on the property.

Refrigerated trailers parked along an industrial street beside a large windowless warehouse in a Los Angeles neighborhood
Cleanup work has continued around the clock at a cold storage facility in Boyle Heights since a June 17, 2026 fire left roughly 88 million pounds of food to rot. (Photo illustration: The LA Globe)

Lineage Logistics will not finish removing roughly 88 million pounds of rotting food from its fire-damaged cold storage facility in Boyle Heights by the Friday, Aug. 14, 2026 deadline set by Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass, the mayor said at a virtual community meeting on the evening of Thursday, Aug. 13, 2026. “To no surprise to anyone, the work is not done,” Bass said, according to reporting by Boyle Heights Beat published by LAist.

Earlier that same Thursday, Bass had told The LA Local that all of the food stored inside was expected to be out by Friday. She reversed that after a deputy mayor toured the warehouse.

“Lineage is a multibillion-dollar company with the resources to meet this deadline, but we know now they will not. … How far away from meeting the deadline, it’s anyone’s guess,” Bass said at the meeting, as reported by Boyle Heights Beat.

How the deadline was set

A fire broke out on the roof of the 500,000-square-foot cold storage facility on Los Palos Street in Boyle Heights on June 17, 2026. Managers cut power to the building’s two refrigerated rooms. Firefighters took about a week to contain the blaze, and the food inside began rotting in summer heat.

Bass issued an executive order on June 29, 2026 requiring removal of all remaining food within 45 days — a clock that ran out on Aug. 14, 2026. Food removal began in early July 2026.

Residents of Boyle Heights, East Los Angeles and several neighboring communities have filed more than 4,000 air quality complaints with regulators since early July 2026, according to the LAist account.

What the numbers show

Lineage Logistics has posted cleanup progress figures on its website. On Aug. 7, 2026, the company reported 85% of food waste removed. On Aug. 11, 2026, it reported 92% of “bulk food cleanup” complete. On Aug. 12, 2026, it reported 93% of food cleaned up.

That works out to between 1 and 1.5% of the food cleared per day, roughly in line with the weekly pace the South Coast Air Quality Management District ordered the company to maintain: 10%, or 8.8 million pounds, each week. At that rate, the remaining 7% pushes full food removal into the following week.

It is not clear how Lineage arrives at those percentages, or whether the city or another agency independently verifies them.

Dominic DiCarlo, vice president of global safety and compliance for Lineage, said at a South Coast Air Quality Management District hearing the week before that the company expects to spend between $80 million and $100 million on the cleanup and related expenses. Lineage did not respond to The LA Local’s request for information about its progress on Thursday, Aug. 13, 2026.

The enforcement teeth

The South Coast Air Quality Management District has issued 19 notices of violation alleging the odors created a public nuisance. The agency ordered the company to meet dozens of cleanup and air quality control standards, including enforceable food-removal requirements and full facility cleaning, and set its own deadline of weeks for removal before the remaining freezer room is sanitized. It can levy penalties if those deadlines are missed.

Bass’ executive order did not spell out consequences for missing the Aug. 14 deadline. At the Thursday meeting she said she had called on the city’s attorneys to pursue civil litigation, and that the city was considering placing a lien on the warehouse property to recover its response costs. “We want the community to be made whole as though this tragedy never happened,” she said.

Los Angeles City Councilmember Ysabel Jurado, who represents Council District 14, said in a press release on the afternoon of Aug. 13, 2026 that the cleanup would not meet the deadline. “For nearly two months, families in Boyle Heights have lived with unbearable odors, flies and pests, truck traffic, uncertainty, and disruption to their homes, businesses, and daily lives,” Jurado said. “They were told there was a deadline, and they had every right to expect that deadline to mean something.”

Los Angeles County Supervisor Hilda Solis said in a statement that she was “disheartened and disappointed that Lineage’s cleanup remains incomplete.”

On the blocks nearby

Alma Marquez of Protect LA Now called for long-term housing for residents affected by the fire and for their homes to be cleaned and tested. She questioned what consequences the company faces, telling Boyle Heights Beat: “Is the mayor going to fine them? … Is the state going to come in and actually hold people accountable?”

On Prado Street, Irma Soto said she had been seeing more trailers hauling debris. “Ojalá,” she said when asked whether workers would finish in time, per Boyle Heights Beat. “I hope they finish so this could all end.”

Comments